Kim Interdonato sent me a copy of her book, Shoes are like Men. At first, I thought it was a cute title … then I read it and realized that men really are like shoes. The hot sexy high (and ultimately painful) heel, the comfy shoe that you really like but don’t see as anything more than comfortable, and ultimately the perfect fit.
What I loved about this book is how relatable it is. I am willing to bet that you’ll see yourself and former paramours in at least one of the chapters. The hot sexy high heel pretty much describes me in my 20’s. I dated a comfortable shoe for several years in my 30s. Now in my 40s, I was still seeking my perfect fit and being totally tired of wearing the wrong shoes!
It got me thinking, what else are men like?
Men are like restaurants.
- Fast food guys are those guys that are good for a quick meal but not really satisfying and ultimately not healthy for you.
- Some men are like casual dining (think Panera). They are a step up from the fast food guys, better for you, … but it still isn’t like a full-service restaurant.
- Chain restaurants give you a full restaurant experience but they feel strangely familiar. These are the guys everyone likes … but sometimes, they can be pretty generic.
- Fine dining guys are the ones that give you something a little different. He’s a little cultured and worldly. He could be The Most Interesting Man in the World, but he might not be want you are looking for.
- Favorite restaurant. It could be any one of these restaurants but you love it. The food, the atmosphere, the wait staff. You could go there every week and thoroughly enjoy it. It might not be for everyone but it is perfect for you.
`Men are like Jeans
- There are the pricey, trendy jeans (they were called designer jeans in the 80s). These jeans will turn heads and impress people, even if they don’t fit well.
- There are the familiar jeans. You know, the ones you throw on because they are there and they’re comfortable.
- There are the jeans you really like but they just aren’t a good fit. They leave you uncomfortable and ultimately disappointed.
- They are the worn jeans. You’ve worn them out and it’s time to get another pair.
- Then there are the jeans you’ve been searching for forever. They look amazing. They fit great. The price is right! These are the jeans for you!
Men are like Dogs
- There is the pampered poodle who expects to be catered to, with little interest in catering to you (Yes, Jake The Wonder Dog, I’m talking about you!)
- There is a pit bull who can be sweet but can also be a little aggressive and overprotective.
- There is the lab who is all about family. He’s fun-loving and sweet but could be a little too easygoing and he's always going with the flow.
- There is the chihuahua. He’s cute but chatty. In fact, he can be a little too chatty almost to the point of being annoying.
- Finally, there is the dog that you love. He has his quirks and his temperament but he works for you. There is nothing better than a dog that loves you!
The morale of the story is that there are all sorts of men. And while they share their similarities, they are also unique in their own right. Eventually, you find the best shoe, restaurant, jeans and dog for you.